Our Charleston office is preparing to move in 2025. Help support Justice on the Move!


Legal Information

I closed my business. Why am I still receiving tax bills from the IRS?


Last updated on 04/30/2021 at 6:03 pm

Watch this video to understand the steps you can take to notify the IRS that your business has closed. You must file an annual return for the year you go out of business. The IRS will presume that the business is open and still operating but not paying taxes unless you file a final return. If you have questions about your own situation you should talk to a lawyer. You can apply for help from Legal Aid of West Virginia to see if we can assist you.