Our application hotline has new hours! See them here. 


Legal Information

Guide to Custody Modification for Parents in Recovery from Substance Use Disorder

Child Custody & Parenting Plans, Substance Use Disorder Recovery

Last updated on 12/19/2023 at 8:10 pm

This article is about child custody for people in recovery, so if your child has a Child Protective Services (CPS) case for abuse and neglect or someone else has guardianship of your child, this article may not help you. If you have general questions about child abuse and neglect, visit our child abuse and neglect law article. If you are a relative that wants to help a child with a CPS abuse and neglect case, take a look at our abuse and neglect article for relatives. If someone who is not a birth parent has custody of the child and you have questions about guardianship, please visit our article on infant guardianship.

How do I get time with my child?

What will I have to prove?

How will I have to prove it?

What if I want to enter a recovery program?

I’m interested in medication assisted treatment (MAT). Are there any MAT doctors near me?

What about other treatments, such as detox?

Do recovery programs accept Medicaid?

How do I get a drug screening?

What happens after the hearing?

What factors will the court consider?

What if there are allegations of child abuse or neglect?