Our Charleston office is preparing to move in 2025. Help support Justice on the Move!


Legal Information

Family Law Questions in a Natural Disaster

Child Custody & Parenting Plans, Child Support, Divorce, Separation, & Annulment, Help for individuals after a disaster

Last updated on 12/19/2023 at 8:02 pm

This information was developed by the Family Law Committee of the West Virginia State Bar.  This is only information.  If you have questions about your specific situation, you should talk to a lawyer.

Because the flood badly damaged our home I am not able to get our child during my scheduled parenting time. What do I do?

Where do I get this petition to modify?

Is there an easier way if I cannot get to the courthouse or to a computer to get a form?

Because of the damage from a natural disaster, I am not able to work and can’t pay my child support and alimony. What should I do?

Is there a cost to file these petitions to modify?

What if I can’t afford the filing fee right now with all the expenses I am incurring due to a natural disaster?

Does it matter when I file these petitions to modify?

We are in the process of a divorce and our marital home and furnishings were destroyed in a natural disaster. How is this handled?

My ex-spouse claims he doesn’t have any money to pay me child support and alimony but I know he’s still getting paid. What do I do to get my money?