Our application hotline has new hours! See them here. 


News &

Legal Information

How Relatives Can Help in Abuse/Neglect Cases

Abuse & Neglect
Written by Legal Aid WV


Are you a grandparent, aunt, or uncle who wants to help a child who has been removed from their parents’ home due to child abuse and neglect? If the child is removed, the child’s caseworker from Child Protective Services (CPS) will be actively searching for relatives of the child. There are different ways the child can be placed with relatives. Generally, it helps to be proactive and cooperative, by reaching out to the CPS caseworker to let them know you are willing and able to be a home for the child. Read our article on Child Abuse and Neglect: How can relatives (other than the parents) become involved to help the child? to learn more.

Stay up to date with Legal Aid West Virginia monthly newsletter for all the latest legal news, resources, and information.