Our Charleston office is preparing to move in 2025. Help support Justice on the Move!


News &

Legal Information

P-EBT: Funds for Children’s Nutritional Needs

Food & cash benefits
Written by Legal Aid WV


P-EBT will provide each qualifying child a one-time payment of approximately three hundred and thirteen dollars ($313.00) for the purchase of groceries this time.

P-EBT is intended to deliver nutrition assistance to families with school-aged children who qualify for free or reduced-priced school meals when school is out of session due to the pandemic. The P-EBT funds can be used to purchase SNAP E-EBT-approved groceries at any location that accepts Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) EBT cards.

If a child already receives free or reduced-price meals or attends a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) school where everyone receives meals at no cost, no action is needed. Families will be notified through a letter issued by the DHHR of their eligibility.

In most West Virginia counties, all schools are CEP schools. In Marion, Taylor, Harrison, Lewis, Jackson, Raleigh, Mineral, Hampshire, Berkeley, and Jefferson counties, some schools are CEP schools. In Putman and Monongalia counties, no schools have elected to participate in the CEP program for the 2020 school year. Families in these counties who already receive free or reduced-price meals do not need to take any action to receive their benefits.

Children who attend private schools that are closed due to COVID-19 are eligible for P-EBT benefits if their school provides free or reduced-price lunch through the National School Lunch Program.

If you care for a child who does not currently receive free or reduced-price meals individually or at a CEP school but believe your child would now qualify due to changed circumstances, you may apply at www.schoolcafe.com.

P-EBT benefits will be issued in two (2) groups. The first group will reach students who already receive benefits through the DHHR, such as SNAP, West Virginia WORKS (WV WORKS), or Medicaid. The benefits will be deposited directly on the household’s current EBT card. These benefits will not impact the benefits you currently receive. If you have lost your SNAP EBT card, you can contact the DHHR at 1-877-716-1212 to request a new one.

The second group of students, who do not receive DHHR benefits, will receive their benefits by June 30, 2020. P-EBT cards will be issued to the most recent address and guardian of the student as identified in school records. If you have relocated and have not informed the school of your new address, you should contact your child’s school to notify them of your new address or contact the United States Postal Service and request that your mail be forwarded to your new address. You will receive your benefits on a new EBT card in the mail before June 30, 2020.

For more information, contact your local Department of Health and Human Resources field office or contact the West Virginia Department of Education at 304-558-2709.

Stay up to date with Legal Aid West Virginia monthly newsletter for all the latest legal news, resources, and information.