Purpose of Job
To provide high quality legal advice, representation, professional advocacy, and other appropriate legal services for low-income clients. As an Attorney in our office, you will get the opportunity to practice regularly in magistrate, family, and circuit court. The main areas of practice will include housing, family law, unemployment, custody, benefits, and domestic violence. You will be on the front lines helping clients in a holistic manner. Service includes in-court representation, legal advice and information, community education, and assistance with filling out forms. We also work closely with several community partners.
Scope of Responsibility
Work performed in the office setting, in the courts, in administrative law proceedings, and in the community.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide legal representation consistent with professional and LAWV organizational standards for the delivery of civil legal services to the poor.
- Prepare legal documents, advise clients, gather evidence necessary to formulate defenses or to initiate legal action. Conduct research, interview clients, and witnesses, investigate, and handle other details in preparation for trial. Prepare legal briefs, develop strategy, prepare arguments, and prepare testimony in connection with cases. Represent clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies. Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations.
- Maintain accurate and complete files or records.
- New attorneys shall receive mentorship, training and case reviews over the course of their first year.
- Attend and participate in substantive task forces focused on issues impacting our clients, like DHHR Benefits, Family Law, and Housing.
- Occasional night and weekend work hours; some local and out-of-town travel. Attorneys must be able to get to Court or Administrative hearings.
- Help LAWV engage the legal community and members of the Bar to provide free legal help to Legal Aid clients through pro bono work.
- Must have demonstrable commitment to understanding and addressing issues of low-income constituents.
- Must have J.D. and be admitted to practice in West Virginia and in good standing or must be eligible for admission to the West Virginia Bar under West Virginia Supreme Court Rule 9 if admitted to practice in another state or must be eligible to take the next regularly scheduled West Virginia Bar Exam.
- Must have skills to use office technologies, including learning LAWV case management software.
- Must be able to balance administrative and client advocacy responsibilities.
- Attorneys will work with their supervisor to develop goals within program priorities and funding; and will work with their supervisor to identify individual training needs.
- Attorneys will timely prepare reports and complete forms and records necessary for client services or administrative tasks related to their job.
Salary and Benefits
The Attorney position is a salaried position with an annual starting salary range of $52,000 – $61,400. LAWV offers a generous benefits package, a 37.5-hour workweek, paid vacation leave and sick leave and health plan, as well as dental, vision and life benefits. Staff also have the option to participate in a 403(b)-retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA). LAWV is an eligible nonprofit employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
The Charleston office serves 7 counties and is the largest office in our firm. This position offers a chance to work with a diverse group of advocates and clients on a variety of social justice and poverty issues. While the main office is in Charleston, outdoor enthusiasts will be delighted to learn that we are just a stone’s throw from some of the state’s most beautiful landmarks, including the New River Gorge, Kanawha State Forest, and the Hatfield/McCoy Trail. Additionally, the nearby Elk, Kanawha, and Coal rivers offer some of the best kayaking opportunities. Lovers of the arts and culture can spend their days exploring the Clay Center for the Arts and Science and the Capitol Market, and their nights enjoying a great meal at one of our many local restaurants. And if you are looking to get away for a weekend, Charleston is a few hours from Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, OH, Lexington, KY, and Pittsburgh, PA.
If you are passionate about serving others and want to do rewarding work, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Share this job opportunity: