Purpose of Job:
To provide high quality professional advocacy for low-income clients on matters that do not require an attorney. As a Recovery Medical Legal Partnership Paralegal in this Legal Aid of West Virginia office, you will primarily represent people who are living in recovery residences or attending outpatient treatment, and you will need to build relationships and trust with providers and staff as well as patients/residents in highly sensitive and confidential spaces. You will have direct responsibility for providing clients with trauma-informed and stigma-free legal advice and in-court representation, with support from and collaboration with other attorneys and community partners. The Recovery Medical Legal Partnership Project is a newly expanded project creating a network of like-minded attorneys and paralegals throughout West Virginia to create lasting change on West Virginians in recovery, working to overcome socioeconomic legal barriers to recovery, as well as overcoming stigma and discrimination presented by their pasts, and working to rekindle family and community connections.
Scope of Responsibility:
Work performed in the office setting, in administrative law proceedings, and in the community.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Provide legal representation consistent with professional and LAWV organizational standards for the delivery of civil legal services to the poor, and consistent with any requirement of the Legal Services Corporation, LAWV policies in conjunction with the Personnel Manual and the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and all other funding sources. Such representation may include social security disability cases, Medicaid cases, welfare cases, food stamps cases, and other public benefits matters, as well as assistance with domestic violence protective order proceedings, and other matters on which clients need assistance in accordance to the paralegal’s grant funding source.
2. The professional responsibility of paralegals is substantially the same as that of lawyers.
3 Maintain accurate and complete files or records.
4. Interact with clients and staff and service providers professionally and appropriately.
5. Within the constraints of the job, attend and participate in statewide planning meetings, trainings and task forces, as well as office meetings.
6. Make an effort to involve private attorneys in the provision of legal services to eligible clients.
1. Must have an Associate’s Degree/Paralegal Certificate and a minimum of 2 years of experience or 4 years of experience.
2. Must have demonstrable commitment to understanding and addressing issues of low-income constituents.
3. Must have skills to use office technologies, including learning LAWV case management software.
4. Must be able to balance administrative and client advocacy responsibilities.
5. Good communication skills, both written and oral are required.
6. Ability to organize, prioritize and work independently.
Salary and Benefits:
The Paralegal position is a salaried position with an annual starting salary range of $25,244 – $29,341. LAWV offers a generous benefits package, a 37.5-hour workweek, paid vacation leave and sick leave and health plan, as well as dental, vision and life benefits. Staff also have the option to participate in a 403(b)-retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA). LAWV is an eligible nonprofit employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
The Charleston office serves 7 counties and is the largest office in our firm. This position offers a chance to work with a diverse group of advocates and clients on a variety of social justice and poverty issues. While the main office is in Charleston, outdoor enthusiasts will be delighted to learn that we are just a stone’s throw from some of the state’s most beautiful landmarks, including the New River Gorge, Kanawha State Forest, and the Hatfield/McCoy Trail. Additionally, the nearby Elk, Kanawha and Coal Rivers offer some of the best kayaking opportunities. Lovers of the arts and culture can spend their days exploring the Clay Center for the Arts and Science and the Capitol Market, and their nights enjoying a great meal at one of our many local restaurants. And if you are looking to get away for a weekend, Charleston is a few hours from Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, OH; Lexington, KY; and Pittsburgh, PA.
Share this Job Opportunity: